When it is time to replace your roof, you will quickly discover there are a lot of options available for roofing materials. Deciding which of those is right for your home can be a bit of a challenge. However, if you take the time to learn about them, the decision-making process will be much easier.
One of the most popular roofing materials is asphalt shingles. If you are considering opting for them, here are the pros and cons to help you decide if they are the right choice for you.
Pros Of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt is among the most preferred options for a reason. It has many benefits, including the following:
- Affordability - Asphalt shingles are one of the most cost-effective roofing materials out there. They are extremely affordable, and installation does not require heavy labor costs or specialized machinery. Asphalt shingles are a great option for homeowners on a budget.
- Variety - Asphalt shingles come in a range of color options and shapes. No matter what your style may be, you can find an option that matches the look of your home. Asphalt shingles can even mimic the look of wood or slate shingles.
- Ease Of Repair - Asphalt roofs have a lifespan of about 20 years if taken care of properly. Fortunately, asphalt roofing is easy to fix because it can be repaired in sections. Repairs are also highly affordable, allowing you to keep your roof in great condition regardless of your budget.
- Functionality - Although asphalt shingles are not as durable or long-lasting as other, more expensive options, they still do the job well. They will protect your home against the elements and keep you safe and dry.
With their price, functionality, and range of styles, it’s easy to see why asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing material for homes.
Cons Of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles also have some disadvantages. Those include the following:
- Cracking - Asphalt is vulnerable to extreme temperature fluctuations. If it gets too hot or too cold suddenly, the shingles can crack. Cracks can lead to leaks and other roofing issues that require immediate repair.
- Wind Uplift - Depending on the stacked design, asphalt shingles can lift from strong winds. When they do so, they can detach. This leaves your home defenseless against the elements, and the roof will have to be repaired right away.
- Installation Requirements - Although asphalt is easy to install, it does have temperature requirements. Asphalt must be installed in temperatures of 50 or above. So if you need roof replacement during the winter, you may have to wait for more favorable weather conditions.
Though there are some issues you may encounter with asphalt, those can all be managed if you work with a professional roofing company.
Work With The Professionals
If you are ready to have your roof replaced, contact ACR Contracting Inc. We offer a wide range of roofing options, including asphalt roofing. We will help you go over the options available to your home and select the best material for your needs. Give us a call, and we can get started right away!